Oracle Developer 6i & Oracle database 11g R2 (11.2.0.1.0)

December 16, 2012

 

A default installation of 11g R2 11.2.0.1.0 may not be very pleasant for Oracle developers who are still working with Developer 6i suite!

Our test lab installation has by default taken “NLS_CHARACTERSET AL32UTF8” as default database character set and we were unable to connect to the database from Developer 6i components like forms and reports.

As a workaround, we dropped the database and re-created it using database character set “WE8MSWIN1252” and later with “AR8MSWIN1256” as we needed Arabic support

An interesting discussion could be found here about the character set

Now, we are able to connect to the database, continue our development using developer 6i

Note: Please consult Oracle prior applying such workaround solutions to production environments. Our main intention was to find out a method to connect to 11g R2 database from Developer 6i products.

 

 

Regards,

admin

 

 


Windows 7 64Bit, Oracle Database access from Classic ASP

October 20, 2012

Step 1: Install Oracle Client 64bit, the latest version (Solution intended for those who are already on 10g or above)

Step 2: If your connection call is not something like following, change it to

<% 
Dim adoCon                'Holds Connection
Dim rsViewRecords         'Holds Record Set

' Initiate connection

Set adoCon = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

' Checking whether an exception raised during the Server Create Object call

if Err.Number <> 0 then 
Response.Clear() 
response.Write "<hr>ORASESSION Error<br>" & err.number & "  --  " & err.Description & "<hr>"
response.End
else
response.Write "Session created"
end if 

adoCon.Open "provider=oraoledb.oracle;data source=orcl;user id=scott;password=tiger;plsqlrset=true"
Set rsViewRecords = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

' Your other stuff goes here

    %>

 

That’s all guys

regards,

Admin


Persistent Route in Windows 7

February 20, 2010

Umm, a pretty decent topic I believe. Recently I was trying to figure out certain networking issues at a friend’s place and while running the command found a persistent route ‘0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gateway’ under the IPv4 settings and was sure that I didn’t add this entry at any point of time with my fresh Windows 7 professional installation. I wanted to see what will happen if I remove the same entry.

I removed the entry and everything seemed working perfect. I was still able to connect to internet, access other computers over the LAN etc. The problems started after the weekend when I took the laptop back to work and tried to connect to Microsoft exchange server using Microsoft Outlook (2007 standard edition)!

Outlook was so stubborn and shown me it was disconnected and I started removing the Java VirtualBox, ISA client etc and after going through few restarts still Outlook looked adamant and refused to connect to the exchange server. I checked with my colleague Sherin to confirm whether his 32bit Windows 7 professional has a persistent entry for the route and he reported yes.

I put the 0.0.0.0 persistent route entry back and bingo, Outlook got connected. The route entry 0.0.0.0 was a default entry against the default gateway for the session with Windows XP (if I am recollecting it correctly) and seems Windows 7 has made it as a persistent route with the latest enhancements!

If any Microsoft techies are reading this post (ever), would like to hear an explanation from them about this.